Sunday, May 25, 2014

How is it already Sunday?






















(Sister Hallett's 4th-great-grandparents Capt. James Brown and Sarah Steadwell Brown) 



They say that there is opposition in all things and more opposition whenever something amazing is about to happen. And boy is that true!!! This week has been amazing but kind of hard.
We do an amazing program called "The Trail of Hope" where we take guests down Parley Street after dark and the YPMs perform entries from the early Saint's journals about the day they left. It is amazing. On our dress rehearsal night, we weren't supposed to have anyone come, just the Band members to have a little bit of practice with what we were doing. But, Lo and Behold, 86 people turned up. Sister Camp gave me the quickest rundown of what I needed to do and sent me on my way-- companionless. (Sis Starrs was organizing groups.) I said a prayer and went to greet our group, not knowing what I would say. But I opened my mouth and it was filled. I started baring my testimony of Joseph Smith and the love he had for the people and the truthfulness of the restored gospel. I spoke of my own family that crossed the river and my brave grandmother who made most of the trek without her husband or oldest son. I know I couldn't have spoken so elloquently myself and I know The Lord filled my mouth.
As I was cleaning up, another group of 50 came and I was so calm as I restored all the torches and reset the missionaries, I bore my testimony again the same way. It was amazing. As I was cleaning up the third time, after Sister Camp gave me permission to turn people away if I felt like it, a car with two women in it drove up and asked what they were doing. I felt the spirit so strongly tell me that I had to let them through. So I found them a guide and sent them on. Afterwards, one of the women came up and told me of the difficulties she had been facing and how much she needed The Trail. I spoke to her a while longer to find out she was from Salt Lake. I asked which part and she asked me if I knew where Arcadia Elementary School was, that she lives across the street. SMALL WORLD. I love tiny miracles.
A young man has come through the last few days. His name is Jay Tea. (JT.) He told us he has been inactive since he was a teenager (he's 22 now.) and on his drive from Salt Lake to Chicago, his car has broken down near temple square, which he was able to get fixed in a couple hours, near Martain's Cove in Wyoming, which took a day, and RIGHT OUTSIDE THE NAUVOO TEMPLE when he made a wrong turn and was trying to figure out how to leave Nauvoo. Nauvoo is in the middle of nowhere. You have to be aiming for Nauvoo to get to Nauvoo. If this wasn't a sign from Heavenly Father, I don't know what is. In the few days he's been here, his countanance has changed--- in church today he was BEAMING. It was amazing. I love how the gospel changes our lives.

I started sites yesterday and have to head to another one here in a few minutes. The Brigham Young House was yesterday. I loved being there. And I'm going to the Scovil Bakery today.
Anyway, I need to go. I love you all and I love the gospel.
All is well, All is well
Sister Hallett

2 comments:

  1. So I want to share with you that last year it was my friends Russ and Karen Gilliland who were the mission President and wife. I was so excited that you had been called to serve there. I just wish you could have known them, but I am sure that your mission president and wife are equally wonderful.

    When they were called Karen shared that the Elder from the 12 who called them said in essence that Nauvoo is a place of healing. I know that this is true based on the feeling I have had when at Nauvoo. I am so excited to finally be going back after a long time. I hope to go with your Gma. Nauvoo has the power to change lives because of Christ and what saints were willing to sacrafice. Some other notable members of your family Christopher Merkley he was a contemprary of the prophet Joseph. there is a journal that has some amazing stories about him.

    Anyway I love you and enjoy Nauvoo. Oh, I talked about you in sacrament meeting today. I was talking about member missionary work. I am soo proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can,t read your accounts without feeling of your spirit, sweet granddaughter. I love you and I am so proud of you. Can,t wait to see you in august we will be coming the first week of August. My testimony grows as I feel of your spirit and the tears flow.

    ReplyDelete