Sunday, June 1, 2014

When it Rains in Nauvoo...

It pours. Hard. Out of (Literally) the clear blue sky. Ruining your pair of comfortable shoes and damaging a microphone speaker. But thank heavens for the impression I had to pick up my scriptures right before it started raining.
But I digress.
I feel like this week has gone by so quickly that I have nothing to say-- but then I remember that I'm Sister Hallett and so of course I have things to say!

First: There are worse things in this world than Seagulls. Mayflies and gnats. I've figured out that pure vanilla keeps the gnats away. If anyone knows any mayfly tricks, they'd be greatly appreciated.
Also- Rain in Nauvoo is crazy. We got rained out of a performance, my favorite shoes may never be the same and we are worried about some of our speakers... but by the time we got it all inside it had stopped and the most BEAUTIFUL rainbow had appeared.

We started working at sites this week. I've worked in the Brigham Young Home, the Family Living Center (I made bread and talked to 5th graders. I was like a duck to water!!) the Schoolhouse, the John Taylor Home, and Wilford Woodruff home. I love working there because I get to learn about the history and then almost immediately get to start teaching it. I LOVE TALKING TO PEOPLE.

I had a great experience on Wednesday night. While doing Trail of Hope, I met a man and woman who had met earlier that day in Nauvoo. She was a member, he was not. She spoke English, he did not. They were both from the same city in France, near the German boarder.
I spoke to Sylvie in English for a little while about Nauvoo and the trail-- when all of a sudden, I had the strongest impression to bear my testimony to them in French. I was terrified and my inner dialogue went something like:
Sister Hallett: What? That's crazy, I can't do that
Spirit: Do it
SH: But my French isn't that good, what can I do, bear witness that the strawberries are bought at the grocery store?
S: Do it.
SH: But what if I make a mistake? French are really critical!
S: stop arguing and do it.
SH: But--- but!!!!
S: Do.... It.... Right.... Now.
SH: Okay.......

And so I started talking. At first a little shakily, but soon I was bearing my testimony with words and conjugations that I know weren't in my vocabulary.
When I was finished, Sylvie looked at me with little bits of tears in her eyes and thanked me for my testimony in "Absolutely perfect" French. I was so surprised, but I know that Heavenly Father knows Marco and Sylvie personally, just as he knows me personally, and in that moment, they needed to hear the gospel in their own tongue.

I love this gospel so much. I am grateful for the miracles I see happen every day.

I love and miss you all,

All is Well, All is Well

 Sister Amberlyn Hallett



 
Brigham Young Home



 Wilford Woodruff Home


 Family Living Center



2 comments: