Sunday, June 8, 2014

Tell Sister Hallett She's a Spinster Week



Hey y'all! Weeks go by so quick here and I don't have too much to say. But I do have a couple funny stories.



So one of the joys of working in the Nauvoo mission is getting to work with over three hundred senior missionaries. Their stories are fascinating and they are all such wonderful people and they-- the sisters in particular-- love talking to us. 
One of the downsides is that they see me, a college girl, 19 years old without a boyfriend or missionary and instantly think something is wrong with me. In the last week I have been told:
- I need to "settle down" and "make a goal to be married within the year." 
- I need to quit regular school and try cosmetology school. 
- I need to "quit being so picky" and "just pick one."
- If I didn't get married soon, I'd end up with a widow or a divorcee. 
- Choose one of the YPM Elders and date and marry him when we get home. 
(VERY LARGE NOTE: NONE OF THOSE THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN, I DO NOT AGREE WITH THEM, NOR DO I WANT TO DATE ANY OF THE YPM ELDERS. END OF ALL CAPS NOTE.) 
Sister Camp says they all just want to have grandbabies, even if it's through their Nauvoo kids. 

Funny story number two: During Trail of Hope, I walk through the crowd and talk to people, share my testimony etc. 
This week I had one woman-- member, with her kids-- stop me and tell me that I was NOT in ANY circumstances an "actual missionary." I calmly asked her what she meant, and she said that the stage performers were because they were sharing their testimonies through their talents, but all I was doing was moving around microphones and that wasn't missionary work. She was so angry about it. Like my being a tech was personally offensive to her... But I just laughed a little and bore my testimony- which she rolled her eyes through-- and moved on. People are so funny sometimes. But you've just got to turn the other cheek with people like that and remember that they're children of Heavenly Father too. 

Took a tour of Carthage Jail this morning. The spirit was immensely strong. Words cannot express how much I love this gospel and how much I want you all to come experience Nauvoo.
The church is true
I love you all
Sister Hallett

1 comment:

  1. Amber I hope you are not dis-heartened by their comments. You were assigned by by those who were called by a prophet of God to serve as a YPM no matter what your assignment may be. there are very few people who the Lord will give revelation to as it pertains to you. Although they may be well meaning they are not able to receive revelation as it pertains to you. So be of good cheer, and remember the feelings you felt with you made the decision to serve the Lord in this and in future capacities. By virtue of being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints we are all missionaries, granted we are not all full-time, but we are all missionaries, and what you are doing my dear I envy you that you are able to serve in Nauvoo. Draw on the spirit of that place.

    The former mission presidents wife Karen Gilliland has shared many miracles about Nauvoo. She shared when they were called by Elder Holland that he had said when he needs to heal he goes to Nauvoo. I am sure you have felt that spirit of healing, it is there because of sacrifice that the early saint and the saints today make to live the gospel of Christ.

    Last night we had stake conference and a brand new convert spoke and something he said stuck with me, "I am willing to give up anything for what I have found" Kind of reminds me of what Lamoni said "I will give away all my sins to know God". These people had a change of heart, and they had help getting there.

    You have been called by God for such a time as this to do what you and only you can do. Just remember who you are and that you come from great pioneers ancestry who watch over you.

    I am so proud of you. I can''t wait to see you there in Nauvoo getting your missionary grove on in what ever capacity it s, but don't forget you come from a long line of missionaries on your mothers side of of the family and we all of us among the living and those who have passed are could not be prouder of you than we are now.

    You go work your hardest and show them what you are made of and remember that there are more that stand with you than you can see.

    I love your gutz!!!

    See you soon!!
    Auntie Bo

    ReplyDelete